Saturday 7 July 2012

LIPSTICK | All-Time Favourites


If you know me, or have seen my make up collection, you will be aware I am somewhat of a lipstick fanatic. I own nearly 40, which seems a tad ridiculous even to me. I do wear them all though and I don't buy colours that look similar to ones I already own. You will not find a million shades of nude in my lipstick drawer. Bright oranges, a whole lot of reds and a few dark purples, however? Definitely. I tend to subscribe to the 'Go bold or go home' sentiment when it comes to my lips. There are a few (six, in fact) lipsticks that, I admit, I do favour above the rest though. 

l-r: Topshop Lips in All About Me; NYX Round Lipstick in Doll

TOPSHOP LIPS IN 'ALL ABOUT ME'
This lipstick was actually free with a Topshop.com purchase I made a few months ago. I found out about the deal on their Facebook page and while I have no idea what clothes I bought in the order, this lipstick immediately became one of my absolute favourites. It's super bright, with a slight blue tone so it doesn't make your teeth look yellow. I like to pull this one out when I'm feeling a bit under the weather (or hungover, it happens) to make myself look a little more alive and kicking.

NYX ROUND LIPSTICK IN 'DOLL'
NYX products are basically impossible to find in the UK but I bought a bulk lot of 10 lipsticks on eBay last summer. This one is the best of the bunch, in my opinion. Sometimes the quality of these Round Lipsticks can vary (three words: chunky glitter EVERYWHERE) but Doll is a staple everyday colour for me. It's a good fit between the more subdued nude or mauve shades and a brighter red lip.


l-r: Revlon Super Lustrous Creme Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow; Rimmel Colour Show Off Lipstick in Shake Up Pink

REVLON LIPSTICK IN 'CHERRIES IN THE SNOW'
I tend to think of this as my 'special occasion' lipstick. I wore it for the first time on my 17th birthday and now I always reach for it on holidays and for parties. The wear time on this lipstick is incredible; with a good lipliner, I barely need to reapply it throughout the day. I don't tend to be concerned with certain lipsticks for certain seasons but this is definitely a good all-rounder: bright enough for summer and cool-toned enough that it suits a wintry look too.

RIMMEL LIPSTICK IN 'SHAKE UP PINK'
Pinks don't tend to be my thing. I either don't like most of them or they don't suit me. I'm much more of a red or coral fan. This shade is one of my few exceptions. Rimmel never let me down when it comes to lipsticks, paired with Revlon, they're my go-to brand. I tend to wear this a lot on nights out when, let's face it, I want to look pretty hot but not deal with the lipstick-all-over-my-face situation that comes with more bold shades when you're drinking and dancing.


l-r: Revlon Lip Butter in Red Velvet; No7 Moisture Drench Lipstick in Romantic

REVLON LIP BUTTER IN 'RED VELVET'
I've mentioned this lipstick a few times before on the blog, but it remains one of my main loves. I actually have 2 tubes of it; I love it that much. Reds are probably my favourite lipstick shade and this is one I always get compliments on. It never fails to make me feel good about myself, even on days where I feel a bit drab. Plus I love the name. Now, if only I could find decent red velvet cake in the UK...

NO7 MOISTURE DRENCH LIPSTICK IN 'ROMANTIC'
This is the lone nude shade among my favourites, and really among my entire collection. For years I didn't do nude. It's only recently I've warmed up to the idea, although I still prefer my bolder colours. A lot of the supposed 'my lips but better' colours make me look like the walking dead. Romantic has a nice warm pink tone to it that doesn't wash me out. The packaging is really sleek and lovely too, which is a plus. I'd recommend picking it up with one of those £5 off No7 vouchers Boots are constantly giving away.

No comments:

Post a Comment